Become A Sponsor

8

WAHS Crew – Become A Sponsor

Support Youth Rowing In Central Virginia

Thank you for considering WAHS Crew as part of your philanthropy. We would be proud to feature the logo of sponsoring businesses on our website.

The Western Albemarle High School Rowing Team, established in 2006, has already greatly affected our student population. We have alumni members rowing for Bucknell, Ohio State, Georgetown, the University of Texas, the University of Vermont, James Madison University, George Mason University, Sacramento State University and even the Marines,and we will have our rowers in the programs at the University of Virginia and Notre Dame this Fall! Our mission statement reflects our belief that anyone can become a rower, and that rowing builds powerful self-esteem in even the most fragile teenager. Rowing fosters leadership, healthy social networking, and fitness as well as providing educational opportunities through scholarships.  It is important to note that, while we enjoy the endorsement of the Western Albemarle High School, we do not receive any funding from the school or the County of Albemarle to support our endeavors.

Through the support and generosity of our parent base, volunteers, coaches and friends in the community, the program has grown significantly and is recognized by the US Rowing Association. We are also members in great standing with the Virginia Scholastic Rowing Association. In May, 2009, we opened the boathouse on Beaver Creek Reservoir. We raised over $100,000 and paid for the entire project with private donations. We held raffles, flea markets, ergathons and sold bagels for three years to raise over $30,000 to install a floating dock and purchase a trailer to attend regattas.

Through fundraising and donations, we have a acquired a fleet that includes two training boats, six doubles, six singles, and four quads. We are able to seat 34 rowers in competitive boats. We are also the proud owners of twelve rowing machines (ergs) that are crucial to our training. Our program is open to all Western Albemarle students, regardless of ability to pay to participate, and offers the opportunity to learn about teamwork, discipline, commitment and other empowering life-long skills. Since its inception, the team has operated as an all-volunteer organization and saves money by not paying for coaching, maintenance, education or land stewardship.

Our rowers pay a seasonal registration fee to help offset some of the operating costs of the program. The fees cover approximately 70% of the fixed operating costs and our fundraising efforts cover the remaining 30%. However, our operating costs do not address some of our current needs or dreams to grow the program:

Sculls – Currently there are not enough seats to put every athlete in the best boat for their talent and weight class. We need at least two more sculling boats – a double and a single. In very good used condition, estimates run $8,000 and $4,000 respectively.

Ergs – There are twelve ergs for 42 rowers. For optimum conditioning of our athletes, we need an erg for every two rowers. New ergs go for $1,200 each.

Please consider providing sponsorship support to further the sport of youth rowing in Central Virginia. Kindly let me know if you have any questions.

With sincere best wishes,

Craig Redinger
Head Coach

Western Albemarle High School Rowing Team
5941 Rockfish Gap Turnpike
Crozet, VA 22932
434-409-4994

ctredinger@gmail.com